Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Would a hair stylist be frustrated with me if I don't give specific directions on what to do?

I want my hair short. Just out of my face, my eyes, everywhere. I don't want it hanging down (it's like this right now: http://www.wigsalon.com/img/full/savanna... ).



However, provided it looks nice, I don't care *how* my hair is cut, I just want it away. Would a hair stylist find it annoying for me to not tell her what I want specifically (just give a similar spiel like the one above) or would she be willing to take it in stride and do as she thinks best?



I would be going to Great Clips, if that matters any. I don't know if maybe they have some obligation to direct unsure people to their giant book of hair photographs and make someone choose.



Would a hair stylist be frustrated with me if I don't give specific directions on what to do?

Oh dear.



You are a brave woman.



I went to great clips and spent 10$ to cut my own hair. The hair dresser had no concept of how to use the thinning scissors. Our visit essentially went like this:



me: Don't worry about the length. Could you just thin out my hair, much like it's layered now? My hair is really thick, so I just want the bulk gone.



her: I don't know how your layers are cut



me: Here pass me the thinning scissors. So you just take a chunk of hair and snip (as I'm showing her with my own hair). Don't worry, just try that on my hair. My hair is super thick, so it doesn't really matter if you mess up.



I'm serious.



I would bring in a photo that gives the stylist some direction. Show up 20 minute early for your appointment and browse through the books. Especially if your stylist is a little inexperienced, some sort of guidance will help her. She's not a mind-reader. If you say, don't make it ugly, but cut all the hair off my face, you're leaving a lot of room for "creativity". Even if you could find a picture that gives a rough idea of what you like. You can show her a photo and tell her what you like about it, and she should be able to help you further.



It's just a lot easier on the stylist if you have a picture. They won't force you to pick a picture out, it's just recommended.



BTW: my hair turned out great! Even if it was me doing the cutting. I'm actually going to return to Great Clips, you honestly cannot argue with the price - especially if you just want a trim.



Would a hair stylist be frustrated with me if I don't give specific directions on what to do?

Going to a place like that there is a better chance that they will be frustrated without more specific detail. When I used to go places like that and not know what I wanted i could usually look at who was working and get a good idea of who I wanted to cut my hair by observing them with other clients. It is going to differ between hairstylists whether or not they will take it in stride. Having a picture, or even several pictures of ideas you like is best to make both you and your stylist feel better about your cut. Ultimately you will be happier. It's doubtful that they will take the books and force you to chose. But if you give them an idea and let them do whatever they want you aren't allowed to get upset if you hate it! :)



Would a hair stylist be frustrated with me if I don't give specific directions on what to do?

If you're really brave you can ask her to cut it in a way that she thinks is flattering for you, but to tell you the truth, I wouldn't trust anyone to do just whatever they want no matter what salon I'm in! I think you should go look through some hair magazines to find a haircut you like %26amp; then bring the pic. Afterall, you %26amp; her may not have the same taste or idea of what would flattering!

No comments:

Post a Comment